Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl? Super SO!

Some of you may have noticed that the Super Bowl was yesterday. I figured we wouldn’t bother doing anything since the Packers weren’t playing. I know, right? Thus, when my SO suggested having a small get together, I wasn’t that enthused.  I had way too much to do: grade homework, prep for next week’s classes, analyze data, and attend a faculty meeting (at school, on Saturday). I had no time to shop, clean, cook… or any of the things that need to be done when hosting an event, small or otherwise. Most people work an extra day on office-related tasks, and I could not add another activity to my already-full weekend agenda.

“Don’t worry”, he said. “I’ll take care of everything!” 



We talked about what we needed and I turned over the party planning to him.  I was apprehensive – he has a horrible memory, he doesn’t make lists, and he refuses to use coupons. I went to my office and started grading.

Several hours later, he returned with bags and bags of groceries.  “I know. I went a little overboard”, he told me, “but don’t worry. We’ll eat it all.”  Out came the chips, the cheese, the crackers, as well as lots of other items, some of which weren’t on the list or that we already had in the cupboards.  I cringed when I saw the store-made “fiesta dip” and packaged cookies – mine are so much better!  But work was calling, so I went to my office and started writing next week’s lecture notes.

On Sunday, when people arrived to watch the commercials and the halftime show – I mean, the game – they arrived to a decorated viewing area and lots of food. And you know what? They had a great time and ate everything.  I didn’t have to do much and I got all of my work done. 

If  you got your work done this weekend because someone else did more than they usually do, don't wait until Valentine's Day to show your appreciation. It might be nice to do or say something now.

1 comment :

bellatrix78 said...

Having been to several of your Superbowl parties, I can say that they are truly SUPER! :)